Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Refinement, Truffle "Tater Tots"

I don't think I have met anyone that didn't love tater tots as a kid. In my culinary point of view, the best tasting food is food that sparks the memories of my childhood.
I baked russet potato's in foil for 40 minutes and chilled them down naturally in the refrigerator.
After they were completely cooled, I grated them on a cheese grater (no skin) in to a bowl and mixed in basil, thyme, sweet shallots, egg whites (1 egg white per 2 large potatoes), salt and pepper. This recipe makes a perfect hash brown, but in this case I pressed the mixture through a small cylinder mold and froze them before service. I deep fried them in 350 degree F oil until crispy and golden. To finish I tossed them in white truffle oil.

No comments:

Post a Comment